Sunday, November 15, 2009

The first Shot is the hardest

This is what I have always said to those I have taught as an RN to give their first self injection. Wow, it is different when I had to give my first shot to myself. Who knew it was such a ordeal! Double checking the dose, making sure I remembered to use alcohol on my skin at the injection site, saying silently You CAN do this 1,2, 3. Then it was done, the first one!

Eric and I have shared with many people our journey to have a child of our own. We have learned over the past several months that it will be close to impossible if we do not use modern medical technology to aid in this journey. We both have had fertility testing and multiple doctor's appointments. We have been given diagnosis's and choices. Really choices is not the best word, a better way to put it is - a choice. One choice to be exact - in vitro fertilization (IVF).

Eric and I have started our IVF journey. It is a relatively new medical proceedure (30 years old) that is known for the term Test Tube Babies. We understand that this type of medical intervention is not for everyone and some have different views regarding religion and personal beliefs; however, this is for us and we are very excited that there is hope.

As the title indicates, I started giving myself hormone injections yesterday, Sat. Nov. 14th. The whole process is full of different medications to be taken at different times depending on the day of the month and depending on results from various blood tests and ultrasounds. If everything goes as planned, the entire process will take about 4-6 weeks.

It is our choice to share this exciting time with our family and friends. As with life, we can not predict the outcome of this journey. What we can do is to stay positive and ask for your positive vibes and prayers through this time.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle and Eric, I will be anxiously following your blog about your journey and I will be hopeful that your blog will soon post successful results. Good luck and your Hebron, Kentucky family is thinking of you and wishing you the best! This is a very exciting and hopeful first step :).

    ReplyDelete